Escrow Services

Escrow - What Is It?
Very simply defined, an escrow is a deposit of funds – a deed or other instrument by one party for the delivery to another party upon completion of a particular condition or event. The California Escrow Law – Section 17003 of the Finance Code – provides the legal definition.
Why Do I Need Escrow?
Whether you are the buyer, seller, lender or borrower, you want the assurance that no funds or property will change hands until all of the instructions in the transaction have been followed. The escrow holder has an obligation to safeguard the funds and/or documents while they are in possession of the escrow holder and to disburse funds and/or convey title only when all provisions of the escrow have been complied with.
Escrow - How Does It Work?
The principals to the escrow – buyer, seller, lender and borrower – cause escrow instructions, usually in writing, to be created, signed and delivered to the escrow officer. If a broker is involved, he or she will normally provide the escrow officer with the information necessary for the preparation of your escrow instructions and documents.

The escrow officer will process the escrow in accordance with the escrow instructions and, when all conditions required in the escrow can be met or achieved, the escrow will be “closed.” Each escrow, although following a similar pattern, is different in some respects as it deals with your property and the transaction at hand.

The duties of an escrow holder include following the instructions given by the principals and parties to the transaction in a timely manner, handling the funds and/or documents in accordance with instruction, paying all bills as authorized, responding to authorized requests from the principals, closing the escrow only when all terms and conditions have been met and distributing the funds in accordance with instructions and provide an accounting for same – the closing or settlement statement.

Who Chooses The Escrow?
The selection of the escrow holder is normally done by agreement between the principals. If a real estate broker is involved in the transaction, the broker may recommend an escrow holder. However, it is the right of the principals to use an escrow holder who is competent and experienced in handling the type of escrow at hand. There are laws that prohibit the payment of referral fees, which affords the consumer the best possible escrow services without any compromise caused by a person receiving a referral fee.

Why Us?

  • You never have to worry about affiliate pressures or institutional conflicts of interest as escrow is the only thing we do.
  • Madrona Park Escrow has built a staff of professionals carefully and is equipped with some of the latest financial technology available.
  • We are one of the leaders in the escrow industry. Stop by our office, we would love to meet you.
*Specific City Requirements*
Building and Safety Division
323-588-6211 x298

Canyon Lake
Planning and Compliance
951-244-6841 x310

Building and Safety Division

Cathedral City
Building and Safety Division

Building and Safety Division

Building and Safety Division
323-773-5143 x222

El Monte
Building Division

Community Development

Hawaiian Gardens
Planning Division
562-420-2641 x246

Hermosa Beach
Code Enforcement

Huntington Park
Building and Safety Division

Building Safety

Laguna Beach
Building Division

Building and Safety

Los Angeles
Data and Records

Building, Safety, and Planning

Manhattan Beach
Building and Safety

Building and Planning

Newport Beach
Building Division

Building Inspection

Palm Springs
Fire Department

Palos Verdes Estates
Building and Safety

Code Compliance

Port Hueneme
Building and Safety

Redondo Beach
Building and Safety Division

Rolling Hills Estates
Planning Division

San Fernando
Building and Safety

San Marino
Permits and Inspections

Signal Hill
Building and Safety

South Gate
Building and Safety Division

Building and Safety

Single Family Residence
The single-family residence or “SFR” is by far the highest percentage of the type of property that is being purchased or sold. They are a one-unit stand-alone dwelling that is used as a residence. Owners can do whatever they want to the structure and the property itself within established city or county guidelines.

A condominium (condo) is also an SFR used as a residence but may be attached to other units under one roof and with shared walls. Condos are built as part of a condo project and have a homeowners’ association (HOA) that manages common areas. Ownership of this type of property is limited to the space within the four walls of the unit and under its the roof. Owners do own an undivided interest in the common area and pay HOA dues for the privilege of using the area. Common areas are those areas outside of the living area and include walkways, parking lots and outside recreational areas. There are guidelines which limit what physical changes the owner can make to the exterior even including the color of exterior walls.

A planned unit development (PUD) is a cross between an SFR and condo. It is a one-unit, stand-alone residential dwelling which is part of a planned development and has an HOA that manages common areas. Ownership is the actual unit building as well as an interest in the common areas. HOA dues are charged for the maintenance of the common areas. Like condos, some guidelines limit what physical changes the owner can make to the exterior, including the color of paint of exterior walls.

Apartment Units
An apartment is a residence that is part of a building complex under one roof which is leased or rented out and not owned by the resident.

In the sale of apartment units, there is a proration of rents and security deposits collected on occupied units between buyer and seller at the close of the transaction.

As a matter of record, there are complexes which start out as apartment units and then converted to condominiums. Once the process is approved and completed the individual units become eligible for sale for individual ownership.

Standard Commercial
Standard commercial properties are those that are zoned by the local government agency for commercial use only. These are properties wherein businesses operate.
Rental of commercial properties are usually on a long-term lease basis. The lease could include a monthly rent amount plus building insurance, maintenance and real property taxes, which are termed as a “triple net” lease. Utilities are normally also paid by the tenant for their unit. Leases are prorated between buyer and seller at the transfer of ownership.

Commercial Condos
Like residential condos, a commercial condo is also part of a bigger condo project and have the same standards and guidelines as residential condos with the exception that its use is commercial and not residential. An owners association for the maintenance and care of common areas is also part of the project.
The rental and sale of commercial condominiums follow the same guidelines as the standard commercial properties, with the same lease proration, plus the owners’ association dues proration.

Shopping Centers
Shopping centers are commercial units which are not owned individually but part of a larger project. Like apartment units, the individual units are leased. Like commercial properties, the leases are usually long-term and triple net based on the percentage of unit size to the entire complex.

Although not “commercial” in nature, settlement agents consider hotels and motels commercial properties, even though its primary purpose is for rental as short-time residences. Like apartments, hotels and motels are also single unit residences within a building complex. Unlike apartments, the rental of these units are usually short-term, and the units may not include the full array of rooms and extensive kitchen facilities found in apartments. There will be a proration of rents collected as of the day of transfer of ownership.

The sale of a business opportunity is also called a “bulk sale” in the California escrow industry, and it characterizes the sale of an ongoing business. It is a specialized type of transaction and is governed under special government codes in California – the Uniform Commercial Code and/or the Business and Professions Code. Differences in the handling of the real property sale vs. the personal property bulk sale are twofold: there is no title insurance policy that is purchased for the benefit of the buyer, and a grant deed is not the document conveying ownership.

It is important to note that in many cases the sale of the business can be separated from the sale of the real property on which it is located. Sometimes, it is a package deal and, depending on the parties involved, it can be handled as one transaction or separated into two: one for the sale of the real property and one for the sale of the business located on it.

Here are some salient points to the handling of a business opportunity transfer:

• A bulk sale transaction calls for a uniform commercial code search with the secretary of state and a search at the county recorder’s office for liens filed in those agencies.
• It calls for a publication in newspapers in the judicial district of the business, giving the creditors and vendors notification and sufficient time to submit their claims for payment.
• It calls for the escrow holder to contact and receive a certificate of release from government agencies of seller’s employment tax liabilities.
• The sale can include the tangible assets (inventory, fixtures and equipment, client lists) as well as intangible assets (goodwill) and a breakdown is normally required.
• As the businesses may occupy a location that is rented or leased, it calls for the buyer to first seek landlord approval as the new tenant.
• The transfer of business ownership is evidenced by the delivery of a bill of sale.

The types of businesses that are sold can be as varied as whatever stores you see down a street of commercial businesses. They run the gamut of donut shops, coffee shops, nail or hair salons, liquor stores, restaurants, hotels/motels, auto repair shops, gas stations, and auto dealerships, to name a few. Every business that exists can be sold and purchased. There are regulatory and processing differences so these transactions should go through a third-neutral party (escrow holder) who is sufficiently experienced to handle the transaction of its type.

Whether a small mom-and-pop shop or a large restaurant with many seats, the importance of going through an escrow is in the publication of the notice to creditors, which by statute gives the seller’s creditors or vendors the opportunity to submit their claims for payment. This relieves the buyer of any demands from these creditors after they assume the business.

If the restaurant has a liquor license, then the transaction must go through an escrow holder and specific instructions followed. The transaction cannot close until the buyer is approved for the transfer of the liquor license through the California Department of Alcohol and Beverage Control (ABC).

The sale of the business can be separated from the real property on which the business stands, and this is very evident in the sale of hotels. There may be a few components to this sale, such as the sale of the real property – in which case, the laws governing the sale of real property apply, and the sale of the actual hotel business – in which case the bulk sale laws apply.

Another component is the disposition of any other businesses that operate within the hotel, for instance, restaurants and other shops. If they are separate and owned or operated by others, then they are considered tenants and proration of leases and security will be involved.

If these other businesses are under the same management and their sale are included in the total sales price, then there is a possible further breakdown of the individual cost for each separate business.

If any of these businesses include a liquor license, there is an additional concern for the transfer of this license (see liquor license transfers).

Car Dealerships
The sale of car dealerships is normally a complicated transaction for the buyer and seller and requires an extended period of due diligence wherein the buyer will examine all of the seller’s books, records, financials and, equally important, obtaining approval of the sale by the national auto brand corporation.

Gas Stations
Gas station sales may have two components, the gas station itself and a separate auto repair section, which may be under separate ownership. For the gas station, brand sale approval must be obtained from the company for which gas brand is contracted to be sold. If the auto repair component is not included in the sale, then that business could be treated as a tenant of the owner of the gas station, depending on the contractual agreements between them.

Another consideration for gas stations purchasers is whether there is any ground contamination from underground facilities which will then require a phase I, phase II or even a phase III survey done and/or remediation.

Convenience/Liquor and Other Stores
Businesses which sell goods for retail purposes requires a seller’s permit issued by the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA). A certain percentage of sales tax is charged to nonperishable goods depending on the location of the store. It is important that the escrow holder holds all the funds due the seller at closing until that certificate of release is received from CDTFA, which releases the buyer of the seller’s sales tax obligations.

A count of inventory remaining may be a part of the contract if the cost of inventory is separate from the sale price for the business. In the case of liquor stores, Buyer must obtain approval of the liquor license transfer from the California ABC before the sale can be consummated.

Other Service Businesses
Service businesses that are sold include, for instance, dental offices, optometry, and other types of medical offices, preschools and educational services, even escrow companies. The main component being sold is the goodwill – the name and reputation of the business which attracts the clients – and its list of existing customers.

Service businesses, unless they sell some type of product, does not have a seller’s permit issued by the CDTFA or pay sales tax, so a certificate of release from this government agency is not required. However, the releases from the Employment Development Department (EDD) and California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) are necessary for assurance that the seller has paid all his employer taxes.

Vacant Land
The simplified (and popular) name for vacant land is “dirt” as that best fits the description of real property with no improvements on it. Of course, this is a simplification as there may be some structure on it that has no value and is going to be torn down, and there may be trees and scrub which will also be removed.

The purchase of vacant land is normally made with the intent of future development and, as such, it could be much more complicated for a potential buyer than a transaction for the purchase of an existing residential or commercial property. An experienced developer will require time to do his “due diligence” – the research of the land, government regulations and requirements, existing easements, which will affect his ability to build.
Although there will not be much that the escrow holder can help in this due diligence, there are a few things that they should be ready to order from the insuring title company, including copies of all the underlying easement documents and a map of easements plotted and color coded. Due to the factors above the time period for a transaction for a vacant land might be lengthy.

New Construction and Subdivision
After the vacant land purchase comes the subdivision of the land into separate tracts and/or lots and the finalization of new construction. Although the escrow officer is not involved in the process of subdivision and construction, once the finalized improvements are completed and scheduled for sale, the escrow officer will be a part of units’ “first sale out” if the project is a subdivision of tract homes or condominium units in a complex. The developer or seller will designate one escrow company to handle the sale out of all the units.

For Sale By Owner

Should you sell your home, other real property or a business, you will need the services of an Escrow Holder/Settlement agent to protect you and your financial interests.

Madrona Park Escrow, Inc. has a staff that is very experienced in assisting both Seller and Buyer in completing their transactions successfully

Liquor License Transfers
In California, the sale/transfer of a liquor license requires an escrow holder to act as the neutral third party under regulations found in the Business and Professions Code. Due to the nature of the product to be sold – liquor – the laws are very specific as to who is approved to hold the license. The California ABC holds a very firm hand in interpreting the code.

An important fact of this type of transaction is that the parties and escrow holder have to understand that no funds can be passed between buyer to seller before the license is transferred, nor can a buyer take over the business that has such a license unless they have obtained a temporary license from ABC. This is the only license in California which is regulated by statute that an escrow holder has to be involved in the transfer or sale.

(310) 791-5050

Monday - Friday: 9am - 5:30pm
*We are available after hours and weekends by appointment only

23868 Hawthorne Blvd Suite 101
Torrance, CA 90505